In ESX 6.5, it looks like just mounting the FreeBSD CD isn't enough to install VMWare tools
1. Download the latest vmware tools manually (choose VMware Tools packages for FreeBSD, Solaris and OS X)
2. Extract those files until at the end you get the freebsd.iso file
3. In VMware manually mount this freebsd.iso to the CD-ROM drive of the virtual machine running SpamTitan (don’t forget to actually connect also the CD ROM device !)
4. Login to the SpamTitan console and choose option “(5) Upgrade VMware Tools”
5. Confirm it is installed and currect -- see image.